2010 Honolulu Marathon

2010 Honolulu Marathon

2010 Honolulu Marathon

2010 Honolulu Marathon

2010 Honolulu Marathon

2010 Honolulu Marathon

2010 Honolulu Marathon

Aloha Friends!!!

Aloha and Mahalo for visiting my blog! I started this blog as I began training for the 2010 Honolulu Marathon.. I have now met that goal!!! Thank you for taking this journey with me! 2 Timothy 4:7 "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith".

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Making Strides!

Today my friend, my sister in Christ, My Trainer...Carol, came over and walked with me to get a good picture of where I am and what kind of training I should be doing at this time. We just went to my walking path and she matched her pace with mine and set her watch timer..and we were off! At first I was nervous, thinking..."Uh oh, now she's REALLY gonna see what a poser I am"!! We pressed on and kept walking at a pace that felt comfortable and allowed me to talk with her while walking. The amazing thing is this...Yesterday I walked 3 miles in 2 hours. Broken down, that's 40 minutes per mile!! Uhh, yeah...with that rate, I would finish the Marathon in about 17 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid said what??!! :) Yikes!

With Carol walking beside me today and keeping me at a pace that was comfortable...I was able to walk a mile and a half in 28 minutes. This equals finishing the Marathon in 9 hours and 27 minutes!! Amazing! Don't get me wrong...that time is NOT amazing. The part that gets me stoked, is that I am in the beginning stages of my training...so I am bound to improve!!! The difference in my timing from yesterday to today..with just pushing myself a little more..is AMAZING to me!!!

The goal we set for the next month is for me to be able to walk or jog a mile in about 15 minutes....that's the goal. I also am going to TRY to jog for 30 minutes straight.....not focusing on the distance at this point, but focusing more on my ability to jog for that period of time, allowing me to build endurance.

Today I experienced a new understanding of this journey. Improvement..at any level, gives me a huge rush!!! :) I felt good about walking a 21 minute mile. I felt good about setting a goal to cut it to closer to 15 minutes. I even felt good about agreeing to work at being able to jog for 30 minutes. And yes....I FEEL good about making strides!!

Right now, making strides and recognizing them is HUGE! As I continue to trust in the Lord and look to Him for guidance and discernment, I am humbled by His equipping and timing....bringing Carol into my life now, opening my mind up to what seem to be impossibilities...saying "I can" rather than "I cannot". Today I felt like I was thumbing my nose at all things that suck...and embracing this challenge that scares me to death!!! :) I'm not kidding myself...I know I have my work cut out for me, and there is alot ahead that I still don't even understand....yet today's improvement pumped me up and gave me renewed hope. Pray for my dear friend Carol....she truly has her work cut out for her!! :)

I will look back on today when my body aches...and I hate my shoes...and I don't have the desire to walk/jog.......and prayerfully this small feeling of growing excitement will fire me up and drive me on!

After walking today, I put my shoes, my new friends, away and replaced them with my slippers. I changed back into my shorts and shirt and put my running clothes in the washer. I then...went to the Refuse Center and placed an order for new rubbish cans for our new home....went to the cable company and made an appointment for the Cable guy to come out on Thursday to hook up service...called the car dealer to get my Mini Cooper into the shop for service... attended a meeting at Katie's school...then came home and walked another mile. Yep, making strides!!! :)

I'm looking up Lord, and I thank you for loving me, seeing me, claiming me!!

Gotta Run!

4 comments:

  1. Woooooot Woooooot!!!!!!!!! Again you AMAZE me Kimmy!!! Praying for you and routing you on!! You soooooo inspire me like you'll never know girl! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the inspiration. I went out for a run today for the first time in over a year. Wow. Hiking is certainly different than running.

    I did two miles in just under twenty minutes (19:53 to be exact). I should have started earlier because it was warm (almost 80ยบ) and my lunch hadn't quite settled. But I fought through it and finished. I'll get better.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hal,
    You are my hero! 2 miles in less than 20 minutes!! Maybe I'll get there one day! :) Thanks for your encouragement....you are definitely someone I respect and admire.

    Lori, think about doing the 3 mile walk with me at the end of the month!!! We can inspire each other!

    ReplyDelete